Highbrow Times


I've been laid up at home since Monday with a nasty cold that's turning into a cough, so I have been doing a lot of reading.  I seem to have acquired about a million books in the last two weeks and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed in trying to read them all and in what order!
First, I devoured "Marjorie Morningstar" by Herman Wouk.  I read this book when I was 14 or so and I liked it, but I don't think I really understood it at such a young age.  This time around I was much more fascinated.  The story centers on Miss Marjorie Morningstar, a beautiful young girl who thinks she can make it as an actress and won't settle for anything less.  It is set in New York in the 1930's and deals with a lot of contemporary subjects such as financial depression and women putting aside marriage and family for a career, but is quite old fashioned in it's stance on what nice young ladies will and won't do.  I highly recommend it and I can't wait to read more titles by Mr. Wouk.
Right now I am reading "The Group" by Mary McCarthy.  I am finding it highly amusing.  It is also set in New York in the 30's, about a young group of girls who have just graduated from Vassar, and all their escapades.  It's incredibly detailed and a very interesting portrait of the times.  Also recommended!

Waiting in a pile to read are:
1.  "The Duchess" by Amanda Foreman
2.  "The Stranger Beside Me" by Ann Rule
3.  "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides
4.  "Love In a Dry Season" by Shelby Foote

No comments: