THE Cookies

Orange Carrot Cookies

My Grandma used to make these cookies.  She gave them as gifts every Christmas and I looked forward to them all year!  After my Grandma passed, my cousins and I got to talking about these cookies and how she must have had them memorized because we were never able to find a recipe.  That's where the lovely internet comes into play!  I looked for a recipe online sometime back in 2003 and I wasn't able to find anything.  I kinda forgot about it and went on with my life, occasionally craving a soft, cake-like cookie that was tinged with citrus.  Then about 2 years ago I went to a party and these cookies were on the table!  Can you believe it? I tried to get the recipe but the cook wasn't having it.  Secret family recipe, she said.  Yeah, MY secret family recipe, I replied!
Anyway, long story short I did another search online and this time around, there were hundreds of recipes out there.  Turns out it's a southern thing, and some people add nuts or coconut or almond extract.  I prefer to keep it plain and simple, just the way that I grew up eating them. Now, I know that you probably won't immediately want to try these cookies.  The word "carrot" seems to throw a lot of people off.  But they don't taste like carrot at all, I promise.  It just adds sweetness and color to the final product.  Also, they are ridiculously easy to make and the recipe doubles easily.  At least give them a try, they are amazing! 

Ingredients:
1 cup shortening (I used unsalted butter)
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup cooked, mashed carrots
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Beat shortening; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg, carrots and vanilla, beating well after each addition. Sift together dry ingredients; stir into carrot mixture and mix well. Stir in chopped nuts, if using. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for about 20 minutes (Mine were done at 16 mins). Transfer cookies to racks to cool.  Makes about 30 cookies.
Ice cookies with Orange Icing while still warm.

Orange Icing
Juice of 1/2 orange (3 to 4 tablespoons)
grated rind of 1 orange
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/4 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
Combine juice and orange rind with butter; stir in sifted confectioners' sugar until desired spreading consistency is reached. Add more juice or confectioners' sugar as needed.

2 comments:

Fashalina aka The Hyperbalist said...

ohh my gawwwwddd these looks AMAZING. I am literally salivating. I want to eat ten of these right now. Too bad I will never be able to make them because I mess up toast. I am incapable in the kitchen.

Crystal said...

Oh but these are SO easy! If you can make that pasta dish you blogged about you can make these. I promise.