(image via simply recipes)
1. I've never roasted a chicken before. I get kind of squeamish about handling raw meat and with a chicken you have to take the innards out and rub oil on it and so forth. They are so easy to buy at the deli counter I just never bothered before.
2. I didn't truss my chicken. I didn't have any twine in my kitchen. Bad cook! And I only used fingerling potatoes, carrots and shallots for the vegetable part of the dish.
3. By the time I got off work, brought the chicken to room temp, cut up veggies, cooked the dish and let it rest it was so late and I was so hungry I forgot to take any pictures so I got the one above off Simply Recipes. But it looked very similar to my chicken and I did use a cast iron pan (my favorite pan in the whole world, I use it for everything).
4. This chicken was fantastic! It was so juicy and delicious, and the fat coated vegetables tasted amazing. I have officially been converted into a person who roast chickens!
5. You should probably make this. I got everything I needed at Trader Joe's (except that pesky twine) and I have lots of leftovers for lunch and dinner tomorrow. In spite of how people seem to think this is an exacting recipe, I thought it came together quite easily. Just maybe make it on a day off so you don't have to eat at 10:30 at night!