Way Bandy, Makeup Genius



I had a great find over the weekend- the books "Designing Your Face" & "Styling Your Face" by makeup artist Way Bandy!
I have been looking for these out of print books for years, ever since my idol, makeup artist Kevyn Aucoin, mentioned that Way was his inspiration when starting out.  I even bought "Designing Your Face" off eBay once and the seller stiffed me, which led to sadness and lots of emails to get my dollars back.  Anyway I was perusing the aisles of Goodwill and spotted one of the books, I instantly grabbed it and couldn't believe my eyes.  Then- a few shelves down, the second book!  I was in shock, after all this time both books in my hot little hands, I felt like the luckiest girl in the world!  I was afraid someone was going to come up to me and steal them away or tell me I could only buy one (I know, I get a little dramatic sometimes).  But I got both titles and brought them home to live on the bookcase next to all my other favorite makeup artists. 
The books are admittedly a little out of date and the drawn illustrations don't really show much, but some of the info inside is obviously groundbreaking, including contouring and lighting tips that I still see now in the latest magazines and makeup tips for men, and this was back in 1981!  The guy was so ahead of his time. 
Here are some examples of Way's work.

No comments: